Happy birthday to me! (Is it weird to still sing the birthday song to yourself at 28 years old??) As if you couldn’t tell… itz my birthday! Number 28 to be exact and I had a lovely weekend to kick off my birthday celebration. While some people may give you 28 life lessons, today I’m going to give you 28 facts to tell you all about my super low-key weekend. Random, yes, but itz my birthday, so I can do what I want! 😉
1. Friday night included a night in which was perfect since this was the first week I officially went back to school after summer. Plus, we’d been eating out a ton, so it felt good to actually prepare dinner myself, watch a movie, and just hang out.
2. Saturday morning began with a stroll through the neighborhood with Zoey.
I’m taking it really easy on the fitness front to see if that makes a difference, so walks with Zoey were about as physical as I got this weekend.
3. I met my friend Diana at Nadoz Cafe to work on school stuff for a few hours. We both got a lot done and enjoyed lunch, as well. I ordered the Veggie Medi Wrap and it was fantastic. You also get your choice for a side and I chose the southwestern quinoa salad. Can’t ever go wrong at Nadoz!
4. A bird pooped on Diana’s head while we were sitting outside. I’m so sorry Diana, but now you just have to laugh about it. And itz good luck, right?!
5. I got four loads of laundry done this weekend. We were long overdue.
6. Both my nephews Jacob and Jackson learned how to ride a two-wheeler bike this past week! Considering they’re four and five years old, itz very impressive!
7. I’ve already proclaimed my love for Dimvaloo (Lorna Jane activewear – aka the best ever) on the blog several times, but clearly Jonny and Diana know me so well because they both got me something from Dimvaloo for my birthday! And they both gave me my present early despite me wanting to wait. Diana got me a hot pink tank with an open back and Jonny got me a new sports bra from there (they are the BEST!).
8. On weekend mornings, Jonny and I lay in bed with Zoey and talk about how cute she is while she lays on her back and we rub her belly.
9. Pinterest is the best! I’m not usually a huge Pinterest fan, but I’ve found awesome printable motivational signs to hang in my classroom. I’ve repinned my favorites, so you can look at my “school” board to check ’em out.
10. Since my birthday and Jonny’s birthday is five days apart, we always celebrate for the whole week. And when we’re with my nephews and niece, we’re always happy to share our cake and get some help blowing out the candles. They all love birthdays and cake so much! While we were singing Audrey kept sticking her fingers in the icing and sneaking licks! Good thing she’s cute.
11. My smoothie kick is still going strong. And you better believe this morning I’m making a birthday cake smoothie with sprinkles to celebrate my own birthday. Check my Instagram for drool-worthy pictures and sneak peaks for recipes.
12. I can’t believe school officially begins tomorrow. Where did summer go?!
13. I only like really bad movies. Seriously. I don’t like anything remotely scary nor do I care for action flicks. So really I only like comedies, romance, or family movies. This weekend we Redboxed (hello $1 movies!) three different movies: Spring Breakers, Accepted, and 21 & Over. They were all terrible – don’t waste your time.
14. My friend Melissa at Treats With A Twist (awesome baking blog!) turned 25 yesterday and Amanda at Run To The Finish (awesome running / life blog!) has a birthday tomorrow. Yay for August birthdays! Anyone else?
15. I made my Tropical Granola to send to the person who bought it from the online bake sale to help feed US kids. (You can still donate – check out the link!) I doubled the batch so we have plenty leftover!
16. Itz my birthday so clearly that’s the most marvelous thing today.
17. Jonny’s newest obsession is an app called the Akinator. You think of a character (past or present, real or fictitious) and it asks a series of questions and eventually guesses who you’re thinking of. We’ve literally tried them all: movie actors, tv stars, athletes, musicians, Mizzou’s mascot Truman… it even guessed Zoey! (Ok it didn’t say “Zoey,” but it said “your dog.” Itz fun to try and stump it. I highly suggest you download it. Itz probably smarter than you are.
18. I batch cooked an insane amount of black beans yesterday. Since there’s no chance we’ll come close to using them this week, I filled several Zipbloc bags and froze them for later use. Way better (& cheaper!) than buying canned.
19. My in-laws made a fabulous lobster dinner last night to celebrate our birthday. Sunday dinners at their house are always appreciated, but this one was extra special. Thank you!
Oh, and for dessert they got cupcakes and birthday party ice cream!
20. This post is getting really long, so I’m sorry. But itz my birthday, so I don’t really have to be sorry. Sorry, I’m not sorry. 😉
21. We enjoyed Edy’s Slow-Churned Sunny Salted Caramel Pretzel ice cream over the weekend. My brother Jason introduced us to this stuff during our Innsbrook trip and now we can’t get enough. Go get yourself some and thank me later. (And maybe send me a tub? We already finished ours…) I already know Annette is a fan!
22. Zoey has a vet appointment today. Let’s see how much the little furball will cost me on my birthday. I’m quite certain she has another skin infection and I’m quite certain my vet is getting sick of seeing us. We’re currently trying the Thundershirt to see if anxiety is the cause of Zoey biting / itching her back to cause these infections.
23. Trying to come up with 28 things to tell you is getting hard as 28 seems like a big number. Does that mean I’m getting old?
24. Jonny and I went to the Cardinals game yesterday and brought home a winner!
25. We thought we were going to melt at said Cardinals game and it was only 85 degrees. I suppose the blazing sun beating down on us had something to do with it, but we’ve had such a mild summer in St. Louis that this really took us by surprise!
26. We didn’t melt.
27. My sister Stephanie is having the fam over tonight for dinner to celebrate our birthdays. (Thanks in advance, Seester! I know it will be wonderful!) Instagram followers can expect more ridiculously cute pictures of my nephews and niece. And probably more cake pictures.
28. I’m off to enjoy my birthday. Well, after I go up to school for a few hours and put the final touches on my classroom and take Zoey to the vet. Cake and / or ice cream will be involved today.
What’s your favorite birthday treat?