Over winter break, my mom, sister, sister-in-law, and I all checked out a new to us workout studio in St. Louis. It’s called Burn 1000 and it was HARD! The last time we all worked out together was the month prior when we did an Orangetheory Fitness class. After reading Burn 1000’s website, we learned it was similar to OTF in the sense that it was a high intensity workout using a combination of the treadmill and floor work. We all agreed that we liked Burn 1000 better than OTF; however, we also all agreed that Burn 1000 was much, much harder! Let me explain.
So, OTF’s class is divided into two sections: floor and treadmill, both lasting about 25 minutes. This is how every class is, to my understanding. Burn 1000 is different in that we alternated between the treadmill and the floor, but did ten minute intervals; so we were on the treadmill and the floor three times each.
Since I’m not in the best shape right now, the treadmill portion of Burn 1000 felt a lot more manageable since it was just ten minutes. That being said, it was more challenging because we never really got true recovery time. We would get about 15 seconds, but that’s it. (As opposed to OTF where we walked for a period of time to recover.)
Pros of the Burn 1000 Workout:
- INTENSE and HARD workout
- Very sore the following day
- Short intervals (10 minutes, though the website says the intervals can be 5, 10, or 15 minutes)
- Great instructor! Our instructor was on point with keeping both groups – floor and treadmills – on track with time, moves, and intervals – impressive!
- Fast paced – no time to get bored!
- Tons of different moves
- Total body workout
Cons of the Burn 1000 Workout:
- No modifications given
- Instructions are given so quickly for each move, could be challenging for beginners to follow (although our instructor was great at walking around and correcting form when needed!)
- Not a lot of rest time (though this could be a pro as it keeps your heart rate elevated!)
All in all, I really enjoyed Burn 1000 and will definitely be back! It’s a tough workout, but doable. I could feel it throughout my entire body the following days. If you’re in St. Louis, check it out!
Have you ever done a group workout class that alternates the treadmill with floor work?