Disclaimer: Compensation was provided by Houlihan’s via MomTrends. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions of Houlihan’s or Momtrends.
Houlihan’s – are you a fan? I’d eaten at Houlihan’s several times before, but it was never my first pick. I thought it was pretty typical “bar food” with minimal healthy options. However, when I received the opportunity to try their new craveable lighter fare menu, I jumped at the chance as I’m a big fan when any restaurant – big or small, local or chain – makes strides to improve their menu in a healthier sense.
About Houlihan’s: Established in 1972, Houlihan’s is a progressive concept that bridges the gap between fine dining and what people have come to expect from casual dining, priding itself on style and quality. Houlihan’s offers guests a design-forward atmosphere featuring a curated indie music soundtrack, an eclectic menu designed for modern lifestyles, and an energetic scene. Houlihan’s crafts dishes made from scratch with assertive flavors and offers creative, diverse cocktails and wine selections, with many of its locations garnering ‘best happy hour’ awards from local media outlets.
Houlihan’s recently came out with a new specials menu complete with craveable lighter fare items. The details:
- Each item is less than 590 calories and is prepared with fresh and nutritive ingredients.
- Menu doesn’t skimp on flavor – it features entrees, desserts and cocktails that are totally drool-worthy, all while being easier on your waistband.
- They’re available for a limited time – make sure to head to your local Houlihan’s and let us know what you think using #SoEatingThis and @houlihans.
Jonny and I went to Houlihan’s for dinner the other night to check out this lighter fare menu. We started with soup and salad (not from the new menu) as we were both super hungry and [I] needed food asap!
- Jonny: Side house salad with honey mustard on the side.
- Linz: French onion soup. Can’t go wrong!
There are three featured entrees on the new craveable lighter fare menu:
We had a tough time deciding and made sure to order something different from each other, so we could at least try two of the three dishes!
I’m using Houlihan’s photos since they’re much prettier than mine!
- Jonny: Miso Grilled Salmon – miso-marinated atlantic salmon over stir-fried quinoa with steamed edamame, house-pickled cucumber, shaoxing sauce. WOW! The quinoa was the hit of this dish as I kept stealing bites! The sauce had quite a kick to it which we both thoroughly enjoyed.
- Linz: Rice Noodle Salad with Ginger-Soy USDA Prime Top Sirloin – with napa slaw, basil, mint, snow peas, cilantro, scallions, roasted peanuts and chili-lime dressing. The dressing was super light and super spicy which was awesome! The sirloin was more on the rare side and I’m sure they would have cooked it more had I asked, but instead I let Jonny eat it which he was quite happy about. I had more than enough with the salad, Jonny’s quinoa, and my soup!
And clearly we had to try their new desserts…. so we ordered one of each!
We actually ordered them to-go so we had some time to digest our meals before digging in. And you guys… they came in mini mason jars which made them instantly cooler!
- Jonny: Chocolate Mousse – with fresh raspberries and whipped cream. This was super rich; I snuck in a bite before Jonny polished it off in no time!
- Linz: Key Lime Mousse – layered with crystallized graham cracker crust, whipped cream. Oh baby, this was heaven!
Jonny and I kept talking about how great our entire meal was. We’ll definitely be back, and I’m so pleased that Houlihan’s has added healthier options to their menu!
Houlihan’s wants one of YOU to try their lighter fare menu by giving one lucky Itz Linz reader a $50 gift card! To enter this giveaway, visit houlihans.com and leave a comment on this blog post telling us which craveable lighter fare menu you’d most like to try (mandatory). For additional, optional entries:
- Follow Itz Linz and Houlihan’s on Twitter and tweet the following, “I want to win a $50 @Houlihans gift card from @ItzLinz & try their new craveable lighter fare menu! http://wp.me/p2WMfo-2ej
- Follow Itz Linz and Houlihan’s on Instagram.
- Follow Itz Linz and Houlihan’s on Pinterest.
*Must be 18 years of age or older and must be a US resident to enter giveaway. Be sure to leave a separate blog post comment for each additional entry (up to four entries per person). Giveaway will be open until Thursday, March 6th at 8:00 pm CST. Winner will be randomly selected and announced Friday, March 7th. CLOSED.
Congrats to #93 Ann! Please contact me, so I can mail you your gift card!