Today I want to talk to you about the value of joining a gym. First, I want to clarify that I don’t believe you have to belong to a gym in order to be fit or achieve goals. I do, however, feel that there are numerous benefits that are well worth the membership.
1. Get motivated by those around you. Merely being at the gym and in the environment of the workout equipment and all the other people getting their fitness on definitely puts me in the mood. (To workout. Come on now!)
2. Mix up your workout routine. It sure is a lot easier to vary your workout when you have the ability to do so. Even if you have a piece of cardio equipment at your home and some dumbbells, I’m guessing it’s not to the extent of any gym’s. And if it is, you should invite me over because that’s awesome.
3. Try something new. I have taken a ton of classes that introduced me to all sorts of new moves and workout routines. Zumba, pilates, turbokick, spinning, yoga, total conditioning, Bodypump, drills, and more. I haven’t loved them all, but I have loved the experience of trying something new.
4. Meet people! Abby just recently wrote a great guest post on “Tips For Moving To A New City” and her first piece of advice was to join a gym! I couldn’t agree more. I have met several people who I now consider my friends and some have even become workout buddies.
5. Belong to a community. Especially if you frequent the gym around the same time on most days, you will begin to see how the gym is like a little community. There is the same crowd of people at my gym at 5:30 each morning. I can always count on an old guy named Al wishing me a “good morning” and asking if I’m awake when I’m mid-yawn that early. :)
6. Be inspired. In a total non-creepy way, sometimes I watch people and/or trainers to get ideas for myself. I promise it’s not creepy. I only copy them after they leave.
7. Bring out your competitive bone. Comparing yourself to someone else is not healthy because everyone is so completely and totally different. But a little friendly competition with the person on the treadmill next to you, the spin bike in class, or group exercise mate never hurt anyone. (Note: If you think you may get hurt obviously stop. That’s not cool.) Don’t compete in a rude way, just in a secretive way. It’s more of a “they’re not stopping and neither am I” kind of way.
8. Itz fun to take pictures of yourself at the gym. Oh, is that just me?
9. If you’re paying for it, you’re probably going to use it. My gym membership is not cheap. That makes it all the more reason for me to take advantage of what I’m paying for. Not all gym memberships are expensive either. It’s a whole lot more worth it to pay for a gym membership and stay fit than it is paying for the repercussions of diseases later on down the road due to inactivity.
10. Working out is FUN! Sounds cheesy, but it truly is. “Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy.” -Elle Woods (Yes I did just quote Legally Blonde.)
Those are my reasons. All 10 of them. While there are tons of awesome “No Equipment Needed” workouts and “At Home” workouts, there is just something about actually doing them at the gym that makes me (personally) work harder, longer, and smarter. And that, my friends, is why I get my fitness on at the gym!
Now for the Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix giveaway winners! As promised three lucky readers will get to make their own batch of soft, chewy deliciousness. I wish everyone could win, but sadly that’s not the case. If you don’t win, you can certainly go out and get yourself a bag and then tell me I was right. (I like hearing that. ) Random.org says the winners are numbers: 53, 70, and 21. Congratulations, Gracie, Rachel K., and eatingforexcellence!
Do you belong to a gym? Why or why not? What would you add to my list?
PS: Remember how I am now a FitFluential Ambassador? (Of course you do!) I’m just wondering, but… have you joined yet? This is definitely something you want to become a part of no matter who you are or where you are in your fitness journey. Fitness bloggers: join here. Not a blogger? That’s fine, too – join here! Become part of our FitFluential family NOW!