Itz WIAW (or as my husband would say, “WEEEEEE-AAAAAAW!” Yes, he actually does that. In Arizona, he got his brother to do it, too, and they just thought they were freakin’ hilarious)! Anyway, the theme of April’s WIAW is: [Veg It Up] with an Extra Cup!
This fits perfectly with my Healthy Eating Challenge and eating more whole foods. In the morning I made a chocolate strawberry smoothie and I, of course, added spinach!
The workshop introduced the Bowl of Goodness, so I made one the night before and took it for lunch. They talked about how all veggies and whole foods provide different nutrients. Even spinach and kale which are very nutrient dense lack some things that other veggies have. I added both spinach and kale to my BOG, but next time I go grocery shopping I’m going to pick up various kinds of greens.
Along with the greens were black beans, quinoa, carrots, celery, corn, garlic, cilantro, and salsa. It was very tasty! So tasty in fact that for dinner…
I ate it again! This time with a dollop of hummus on top and I ate it cold as opposed to warm as I heated it up for lunch. Same meal just as good. 🙂 These bowls of goodness helped power me through my latest workout:
Week 11 Day 3: Chest, Calves, & Cardio
- Circuit: 20 reps each
- Barbell Bench Press: 30 pounds
- Incline Dumbbell Press: 15 pounds
- Dumbbell Flyes: 10 pounds
- Standing Calf Raises: 80 pounds
- Seated Calf Raises on the Leg Press: 150 pounds
- Complete circuit 3 times
- Cardio: 30 – 40 minutes
So I didn’t post any snacks in today’s WIAW because they’ve all been the same lately. Well, different, but the same. Gnu Foods recently sent me an entire box of their Flavor & Fiber bars. They have amazing flavors including: Banana Walnut, Cinnamon Raisin, Chocolate Brownie, Orange Cranberry, Peanut Butter, Espresso Chip, Lemon Ginger, Carrot Cake, Blondie, and Blueberry Cobbler. Is your mouth watering yet? Mine was the moment I tore into the box.
Gnu Flavor & Fiber Bar Stats: (taken from Gnu)
- Only 130 – 140 calories
- Made with 6 Whole Grains
- Loaded with both Soluble and Insoluble Fiber
- No high fructose corn syrup, refined sugars, cholesterol, trans fat, hydrogenated oils, sugar alcohols, dairy (except Blondie), or soy
- Made with Organic Whole Wheat & Kamut Flours
- Vegan (except Blondie)
- 12 grams of fiber per bar – That’s 48% of your DV of fiber!
Needless to say, I’ve been very
regular happy lately. 🙂 They kind of remind me of Larabars in terms of their consistency as they are a bit sticky and chewy. All of their flavors were so.unbelievably.good! The only downfall I saw is that they contained only 3 grams of protein. Typically I try to eat more protein with my snacks, but the amount of fiber definitely helped me stay full from the snack.
I have a secret to share with you. Don’t tell anyone. Scratch that. Tell everyone you know. Gnu Foods has graciously sent me an extra box with 16 bars (2 bars of each of 8 of their 10 flavors) to share with one lucky reader. How to enter:
- Leave a comment telling me what flavor sounds best to you.
- Follow Itz Linz on Twitter and tweet, “I want to be regular with @ItzLinz and @gnufoods Flavor & Fiber bars! Get regular: http://wp.me/p264zq-lE “
- Subscribe to Itz Linz by clicking on “Follow Itz Linz” in the upper right section of the screen and entering your e-mail address.
- Share this giveaway on Facebook or your own blog.
- Become a fan of Gnu Foods on Facebook.
That’s right. Six entries for your chance to get as regular as me. Whoever thought that’d be as much fun? Don’t forget to leave a comment below for each entry. The giveaway ends on Tuesday, April 10th at 9:00 pm CST. I will randomly select a winner Wednesday, April 11th in my next WIAW post. The winner will have 24 hours to contact me or another winner will be selected. Happy entering! 🙂
*Edit to add: This giveaway is now closed.
Disclaimer: Gnu Foods sent me the bars to try, but all thoughts and opinions are strictly my own as I was not compensated for this review.