I think all my go-go-going kind of caught up to me yesterday. I helped my sister with a photoshoot in the morning, and I planned on waking up extra early to squeeze in a workout. After laying in bed for awhile, I decided a cup of coffee may do the trick. Well, that cup of coffee kept me by my computer for too long and the next thing I knew it was time to get ready for the shoot.
When we were finished, I ran a few errands, and by the time I got home I was famished. I snacked way too heavily instead of plating my food. I dilly-dallied around the house and knew I was just procrastinating getting to the gym. Earlier this week, Meg talked about taking a challenge. I decided that the gym was my challenge and I would tackle it by getting started on a workout. Usually once I start a workout I am good to go. Yesterday was not the case. The whole thing was challenging; I just wasn’t feeling it. I powered through the weight section of the workout and was thrilled to be done.
Week 9 Day 3: Chest, Shoulders, Abs, & Sprints
- *Superset – Incline Dumbbell Press: 3 sets of 15 reps (15 pounds)
- *Superset – Dumbbell Shoulder Press: 3 sets of 15 reps (15 pounds)
- ^Superset – Cable Cross-Over: 3 sets of 15 reps (15 pounds)
- ^Superset – Push Ups: 3 sets of 12 reps
- *Superset – One Arm Overhead Kettlebell Squats: 3 sets of 15 reps each side (12 pounds)
- *Superset – Jack Knife Sit-Up: 3 sets of 15 reps
- ^Tripleset- Side Lateral Raise: 3 sets of 15 reps (10 pounds)
- ^Tripleset – Standing Dumbbell Upright Row: 3 sets of 15 reps (15 pounds)
- ^Tripleset – Burpees: 3 sets of 10 reps
- *Superset – Dips: 3 sets of 15 reps
- *Superset – Push Ups: 3 sets of 15 reps
- Knee/Hip Raise: 3 sets of 15 reps
This workout was supposed to be followed by a thirty minute cardio session like yesterday’s. However, since I was totally not feeling it, I called it a day at the gym and headed home. When I got home, I was pretty grumpy since I didn’t have the best workout. It was absolutely beautiful out, so I decided to take a walk around our neighborhood for about thirty minutes. Not the same as doing run/walk intervals on the treadmill, but definitely better than nothing. And for getting the workout in, I’m giving myself a high-five. 🙂
Sure you can give yourself a high-five! Because I just did. Especially on High Five Friday. I do believe that my workout was crummy because I anticipated it being crummy. I went in with the mindset of, “This is totally going to suck,” and it did. Am I glad I got it done? Yes, but I like to enjoy my workouts (which I usually do), and yesterday I didn’t. I did, however, enjoy my walk and the weather. My experience re-confirmed that I have to get my workouts done in the morning. That is when I feel my best and it helps set the positive tone for the day. Afterall…
(source) True story. This morning I woke up with a positive attitude just knowing that I was going to kill it at the gym today. And you know what? I did. Mind over matter, my friends.
Week 9 Day 4: Hamstrings, Glutes, & Calves
- *Superset – Seated Leg Curl: 3 sets of 15 reps (80 pounds)
- *Superset – Barbell lunge: 3 sets of 15 reps each side (40 pounds)
- ^Superset – Stiff Legged Barbell Deadlift: 3 sets of 15 reps (60 pounds)
- ^Superset – Bounce Bounce Squat: 3 sets of 15 (25 pounds)
- *Superset – One Legged Kneeling Leg Curl: 3 sets of 15 reps (15 pounds)
- *Superset – Split Squat: 3 sets of 15 reps
- ^Superset – One Legged Barbell Squat: 3 sets of 15 reps (40 pounds)
- ^Superset – Mountain Climbers: 3 sets of 20 reps
- *Tripleset – Standing Calf Raise: 3 sets of 20 reps (70 pounds)
- *Tripleset – Seated Calf Raise: 3 sets of 20 reps (120 pounds)
- *Tripleset – Jump Rope: 3 sets of 1 minute
I intended on doing the 30 minute cardio session on the treadmill, but I happened to spot Annette at the gym just before she began her Zumba class! Knowing that this would be the last time I would be able to take one of her classes in quite some time (she’s moving! :(), I jumped at the opportunity. Plus, watching her dance and trying to keep up just puts me in an instantly good mood. Pretty sure Annette shakes it 100 times faster than I do – quite impressive!
What are you giving yourself a high five for today? Go ahead, celebrate your successes!